Monday, July 4, 2011

The 4th

 4th of July has been quite the eventful holiday in the years past.

My last three 4th of July's were spent in the beautiful Rocky Mountains. Instead of sweating my buns off in the Central California Valley in 100+ degree heat (like I am today), I was breathing in the crisp and brisk mountain air in Creede.

Here's a snapshot of a few of the female staff last year getting ready to watch fireworks in town and then head off to the bar. Or at least try.


My old roomie, Elake, as I lovingly call her, got this great photo of me. I don't think many words are necessary to describe my outfit, it's just me.


Thankfully, for my sake and my roomies who were not only embarrassed but scared, I chose to leave the feather boas, space glasses, and water gun at home.


Creede is so incredible during the 4th. A town that is so deserted in the winter with 500-1,000 people comes alive in the summer, especially the 4th. It's within a day's driving distance of many Texans, New Mexicans, and Kansites - therefore, many people flood Creede for the day in search of cooler temps and gorgeous views.

For the out-of-staters who spend all day in Creede before heading home or for those who are lucky enough to live in close proximity, the fireworks show is the grand finale. I'm not gonna lie though - the first time I saw the show three years ago, I thought the finale was the preview. The show lasted about ten minutes, but my oh my, what a wonderful ten minutes. There are not many other places in the world where you can watch fireworks shoot off breathtaking cliffs and light up over a small mountain town.

While I am enjoying spending the 4th at home for the first time in a long time, my heart strings are definitely being yanked on knowing so many of my friends are back in Creede and other areas in Colorado.

Hope everyone has a safe and fun 4th of July! God bless America!!

No comments:

Post a Comment