Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I Done Did It

Well folks, I done did it.

They all thought I couldn't.

Even I thought I couldn't after they all thought I couldn't.

What did I done do??


I helped drive our truck and trailer safely home to the ol' farmstead yesterday afternoon.


Yup, the little California girl can drive a diesel truck and 30 foot trailer.

Without hitting curbs.

Without hitting cars.

Without hitting pedestrians.

Without going over the speed limit.


I actually didn't think it was that big of a deal. I mean, I drove 10 horses every week in a 24+ foot horse trailer down mountain roads in Colorado. Where sometimes you had hundred foot drops on either side of you, and taking your eyes off the road for a second would end up with you driving down a mountainside.

However, I started to pysch myself out after I kept hearing from family member after family member,

"Oh Katie dear, are you sure you can handle that big ol' tank?"

"Can you handle that thing on the freeway?"

"What about those right turns?"

I'm not saying I'm an expert at driving trailers. I'm not saying I was any good when I started out driving goosenecks years ago. I learned how to drive a gooseneck in high school when we had a little gooseneck to tote the horses around to my rodeos. As far as bigger horse trailers - the first time I got put behind the wheel of the 24 or 28 foot trailer in Colorado, within a minute, I saw the trailer wheels go off the road into floating air. By some grace of God, we all made it safely - horses, wranglers, and our lunches still in our bellies. I think my now dear friends, Ash and Sarah, thought I was some Cali girl who drove a little Smart Car everywhere and were wondering why our boss decided to hire me.

But... that little trailer wheelie experience in Colorado along with being a passenger in a horse trailer accident involving my horse and trailer, I have learned to drive rather safely with a horse trailer.

No slidin' stops. Don't take yer eyes off the road pard'. And be nice to yer neighbors.

I'm not saying I'm the best truck and trailer drive out there either.

Sheesh, I'm sure as heck not the best driver out there, period.

But I try my best to get the job done and get everyone home safely.

And you know what I did yesterday afternoon??

I done did it.


 Anything boys can do, I can do better...



No comments:

Post a Comment