Monday, January 10, 2011

Cold


Ahh, Panhandle weather. How I despise you.

Seriously, where else in the world can you experience 70 degree weather and snow in the same week?? This place is insane.

Right now, my horse and dog are currently freezing their buns off. Amarillo had already hit its high of the day at 8 a.m. at a smouldering 25 degrees. The temperature has been steadily dropping since, and it's currently 19 degrees outside at 11:25 a.m.

Let me just say, that I was totally ready for cold and snow when I moved here in October. I mean, I survived a whole winter in CREEDE. I woke up to -20 degrees all the time. It was a nice t-shirt day if it even reached 19 degrees, and now I am shivering while sitting in my heated 70 degree office looking out the window.

What has happened to me?! I'm a wuss!

Something I didn't factor into the weather here - the wind.

It is the devil.

Currently, the wind chill factor makes it about 5 degrees outside.

Take me back to Colorado!! I want -20 degrees!! I want three feet of snow! I want to go where there's no wind!!

You know what has really made the cold absolutely unbearable here?? The change in scenery.

If you don't believe me, decide for yourself...

Exhibit A - cold weather in Colorado


Exhibit B - cold weather in Texas



Hmm. I feel like we could play that game where you find all the differences in two photos: Photo Hunt!! That's how my friends and I spent several nights at the bar in Creede. Drinking PBR drafts, eating tater tots, and playing Photo Hunt.

I think if we had to pick out all the differences in these two photos, we'd probably lose our spot in the top ten scores at the Old Miners Inn bar.

As much as I have been complaining about it in this post, Amarillo really isn't all that bad. We actually had some nice days here this weekend and last weekend. 50-60 degrees, nice enough to head out for a hike with the dogs.

But today, I am cold. Very cold. My puppy and my horse are crossing off the days on the California countdown calendar. So am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment