Sunday, September 11, 2011

Thankful

Everyone knows what day today is. Actually, everyone knows what happened ten years ago from today. This is not going to be some political post or ranting. Just a little reflection on my part as to why I'm thankful for everything in my life, even when sometimes it feels like nothing is going the way I want it to.


Case in point? Nights like last night when I take my old gray horse to a barrel race, in hopes that he will perform like he had been a few weeks ago. To put it nicely, he decided that instead of running barrels, he would just run wild and plow over barrels. We call it "barrel plowing". If they had a separate category for that, we would've won, no other contenders were even close.

Even after a disastrous night where I wanted to give up hope on my horse whose mouth and lips are so thick from cancer he can barely feel a bit in his mouth, I am still thankful for that horse. He loves running, but I just don't know if barrel racing is in the cards for him. He has melanoma (skin cancer) which has progressed over the last 6 years in which I've owned him, and they have turned his mouth into a lumpy mess. At this stage of the disease, I doubt that he can feel anything in his mouth. Add that into the mix with his hard head and need for speed, it's hard to control him at top speeds. Take him on a trail ride in the mountains or stick him in a polo match, and it's a different story. Ask him to go balls to the wall in an arena and expect him to stop, that's not so easy for the guy who has a bad mouth.

I'm thankful for Romeo for all the good times he's given me out in the Colorado Rockies and in the Polo arena. Do I wish he turned into a barrel horse overnight? Yes. But he also has made me realize what traits I do and don't want in my future horses, barrel horses or not... which is why I absolutely LOVE my new girl, Jade. She's the polar opposite of Romeo. Totally chill, maybe even a little lazy. Honestly, I'm ok with her being a little on the pokey side because I know she's got the speed in her. I just love that she's so level headed that unlike her friend Romeo, she can be in a crazed environment and not act like a total idiot.

Other things I am thankful for, but I wasn't so grateful at the time - moving from Colorado to Texas to California. I was heartbroken to leave the beautiful town of Creede. I was in tears crossing over the Colorado border. I was so excited to be near my Texan, but it killed me to leave the state and the lifestyle I had fallen in love with. When my dad passed and Texas and I moved to California, I dreaded being the "girl who's stuck in Oakdale". Honestly, life is much different now than it was when I was growing up here. Instead of going to town everyday for school, I spend most of my time here on the ranch soaking up country bliss. I have received the opportunity to work not only for my family, but to gain experience working with cattle... I have been wanting to work with cows for some time now, but no one could give me the chance, whether for work or play.

I miss my dad so much. I wish I had more time with him, but your time on earth is something that cannot be predicted. While I miss my dad, his death caused my move home. I don't think I would have had a reason to move to Oakdale if he had not passed away. I am thankful for this opportunity to be helping out and being here for my mom, my Grandma and our family in Southern California.

While I have had people, family and friends, who have drifted out of my life, I am thankful for the people in my life who choose to be in it. It's hard to let go of friends and even family who have chosen other paths, but relationships are two way roads. It's hard to give and not receive love and friendship back.

I'm not exactly gettin' rich out here on the farm, but I am so grateful for the life I am able to live. I have a schedule that allows me to spend time with my family, boyfriend, and animals. I make enough money to get by and do some fun things here and there. I can afford to properly care for my critters who make my world go round. I think about how my life would be without my cat. Without my pup. Without my ponies. Animals have always made my life feel more fulfilled, and that has not changed. People thought I was crazy moving to Texas with a horse and cat... and then having a puppy thrown into the mix. Guess what? They're all fat and happy. So am I, minus the fat part. (P.S. I'm also thankful for diets!)

Last but not least, I am so thankful for my man, Texas. Words can not describe how much he means to me! I don't want to get all mushy on here, but I will say that guy does a lot for me and I don't know how I ever lived without him. That brings to mind another blessing in disguise - hating my job as an Event Planner because of my boss causing me to quit and sign onto the ranch in Colorado for another summer - which led me into the arms of my Texan.

That's all the reminiscing I can handle today folks. I've got a date with a 4-wheeler, doggies, and a 6'4 blonde cowboy. I hope yall have found things to be grateful for in your life, not just today, but everyday.


No comments:

Post a Comment