Thursday, September 1, 2011

Just One Of Those Days

You know how some days, bad things happen to you from the second you wake up until the second you go to sleep?

Yah, well, I certainly had one of those days yesterday.

First sign of a doomed day?

When I went to start my coffee up, I realized that  none of the outlets in the kitchen were working... thus resulting in brewing my freshly ground coffee on the floor of the dining room. Awesome.

Second sign of a doomed day?

I think a ranch ghost pushed one of our Two Buck Chuck wine bottles (Trader Joes, I love thee) off of the backside of the fridge while I was gathering things up to leave the house. Luckily, it survived the fall. Yay Two Buck Chuck!

As I'm grabbing a plastic bag in the kitchen cabinet to carry my fruit for the day (key to weight loss? snack on fruits and veggies as opposed to cheese and crackers or granola bars, oops), I notice a plethora of ants.

SO MANY FRIGGIN' ANTS!!!

After a desperate attempt to scare the ants away with my loud and frantic screaming at 7 a.m., I decided I had better start clearing out the cabinets and spraying ant killer and 409 all about the kitchen.

This morning ant attack came after the previous afternoon's adventures of finding ants in the cabinets containing our pots and pans resulting in washing all of our dishes which is a real quick chore when one does not have a dishwasher. (According to Texas, I am the dishwasher.)

Thankfully, after the incessant complaining about the out of control ant situation, my mom had a pest control fellow called out to the scene immediately. We are now happy customers of a pest control service.

The ant attack set me back about 30 minutes arriving to work, but it turned out to be a good thing. Why, you ask? This is what happens next in the day of doomed events...

You see in the below picture how the metal bars the cows stick their heads through have a roundy deal at the top of the bar? Well, that roundy deal is what locks the cows heads in when we are needing to check cows for vet checks, pink eyes, etc. On this particular day, we were trying to pick out the cows confirmed pregnant from the previous day's vet check.

Why is this a doomed event? Well, when we take the confirmed pregnant cows out of the pen, they get kicked out to pasture to graze on grass instead of the high dolla feed. Before we kick them out on pasture, we give them a couple of shots in the neck. Usually, I just stick my arm over the metal stansions (thats the correct term for the metal get up you see in the picture). Well, one of the girls next to a cow I was shooting up decided to be a real sweetie and freak out while I was standing too close to the roundy part of the stansion.

End result? Pinched, broken open and bleeding skin dangerously close to my armpit. Ouch.



Promptly after I ripped my skin open, I ripped my jeans open on our herdman's "horse" (his 4 wheeler).

Texas decided to make my day a little less doomed by taking me out to lunch at one of our favorite spots in Oakdale.  Thanks Tex!!

Unfortunately, the doomed day continued with an uncooperative 4 year old horse, and the worst - coming home to a house without Air Conditioning, a working fridge/freezer, and oven. Apparently, the coffee pot situation in the morning was related to this huge appliance problem we were now having. Turns out, we had a bad main breaker in the house, and we had zero to low power. Luckily, we had caught the problem within an hour or so of the fridge/freezer turning off, so we didn't lose the meat in the freezer. We had an electrician come out this morning to fix the breaker as we had the house shut off on us again at 3 a.m.

Gahhhh! Such a long, long day. I thought to myself at one point that I should just spend the rest of the day on the couch, hiding from anything and everything in life that might come out and bite me. Phew. So glad yesterday is over.

Good thing about yesterday?


I still got this guy to hang out with 24/7. I think he was trying to console me in this picture after our Herdsman poured alcohol on my wounded arm.

Hope yall had a better day than me yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment