Saturday, December 8, 2012

My First

The moment I've been waiting for since October 2011 has FINALLY arrived!!

I'm going to be a grandma to (hopefully) 5 healthy angus beef calves.

Last October, I invested in 5 Angus heifers with the intention to breed the heifers and sell the offspring. I thought it was a promising, yet risky, way to see some of my savings grow - literally.

The beginning stages of my investment proved to be frustrating. The new bull our ranch had purchased for our growing beef herd was having some 'malfunctions'. After a few months of seeing heifers still coming into heat when they should have been a couple months along, a semen test showed our big man on campus had very high quality sperm - he just didn't know how to use it. Another new bull was brought in and my heifers were confirmed pregnant shortly after.

Much to my surprise, my first calf dropped 2 1/2 weeks earlier than the vet predicted. I'm now the proud mama of my first Angus pair. As for the other four, they are bagging up with each passing day. I'm on pins and needles waiting to see another black dot on the horizon when I look out across our pasture.

No comments:

Post a Comment