Sunday, January 1, 2012

And This Little Piggy Ran All The Way Home

I went hunting with Texas, his brother, and his dad on Thursday and Friday. We initially were hunting for Auodads in the Palo Duro Canyon here in Canyon, Texas. We didn't find any of the elusive Mountain Sheep, but we did spot several Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, skunks, and.... HOGS.

Here in Texas, hogs are a nuisance. In fact, they are extremely dangerous. Outweighing me, they are big, gnarly, violent creatures that tear up ranches and even kill livestock.

We spotted three on the hunting trip, and the last one...


... I got to see up close and personal.

I spotted the Boar (male hog) as Texas, his dad, and I were walking back to the truck after another uneventful canyon sightseeing. The whole trip I was spotting creatures left and right, it's almost like my eyes were made for me to be a hunter. Well, this guy was no exception. I spotted him, grabbed Texas, who then grabbed his Dad, and we all tried to bunker down behind the brush, so we wouldn't get spotted. These suckers are very aware of their surroundings, and they can MOVE at like 35 mph. Well, he caught sight of us and started to book it towards the edge of the hunting property. With the moral guidance of Texas, I crouched down, looked down the scope, and just let 'er rip. We all got a shot at him as he ran off, and I wasn't quite sure if we had got em. After we lost sight of him, we walked off towards his direction, found a blood trail, and came up on the lovely sight of a nasty pig down in the dirt. We got all three shots in him, so really, this was a group effort. But, the boys swear up and down I would have had him down with my first bullet. Soooo, I'll take their word and claim the 120 lb Boar as my first hog. :)
When in Texas....

No comments:

Post a Comment